The Neurology Team at Smart Neuro Health & Wellness Center is dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment and management of a variety of common neurological disorders of the brain and peripheral nerves. We provide a comprehensive, collaborative approach, led by our expert specialists, to the treatment of the following:
Home Sleep Studies – Outside sleep read
More than 25 million American adults struggle with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and the expert team at Smart Neuro Health use sleep studies to help diagnose sleep apnea, primarily OSA. We are proud to offer our patients with a more convenient and less invasive option for diagnosis - a home sleep apnea test (HSAT) instead of an in-lab sleep study.
What is a Home Sleep Test?
A home sleep apnea test is just as it sounds: a sleep test our patients can take from their own home to determine if they have sleep apnea. You come into the sleep center to pick up equipment for your home sleep test and we will demonstrate how to perform the test, including how to use the machine and equipment properly. You then go home and perform the test. The data obtained is stored on the equipment and is uploaded at our center the following day.
Who Participates in a Home Sleep Test?
Home sleep tests normally attract those who have a high deductible on their insurance plans since they're not as expensive as in-lab studies. Home sleep studies are also good for homebound patients, the elderly, those with a chronic illness, and those who have a hard time taking time out of their busy schedules.
What is the Process and What Happens During a Home Sleep Test?
On the day of your test:
- Avoid napping.
- Follow normal routine as much as you can.
- Avoid caffeine after lunch.
Be sure you go to bed at your regular time. When you’re ready to go to sleep, attach the sensors to your body like instructed by our staff. Remember to press the button on the device and then keep a sleep log.
The sensors typically include a sensor that slips over your index finger to monitor oxygen levels and heart rate, and another set of sensors that monitors breathing patterns. Strap these sensors to your chest and then place the small tube into your nostrils to measure airflow.
When you wake up the following morning, remove the sensors and bring the device back to our clinic.
Benefits of a Home Sleep Test
Home tests are convenient, cost-effective, and comfortable. Other benefits of a home sleep test include:
- You can administer your own home sleep test and can spend the night in your own home in your own bed in familiar surroundings. This reduces first night effect.
- A home sleep test may be the only option for those who are elderly, homebound, or have a chronic illness and need specialized care provided by a family member or home nurse.
- A home sleep apnea test may also be beneficial for those who are having a hard time arranging time out of their busy schedules to get to an overnight in-lab study or those who can't afford expensive transportation costs.
- The average cost of a home sleep study is a mere fraction of what an in-lab study would cost, and in the diagnosis of OSA, typically yields similar results.